In this assignment, I want you to listen carefully to a podcast and be able to “walk the dog backwards” — to understand how the producer put together different clips of audio.
- Choose a podcast from the Third Coast International Audio Festival Shortdocs. These are generally 2-3 min long and very fun and creative. There are a lot of options.
- Listen with your headphones to the podcast once all the way through.
- On a piece of paper or on your computer (whatever is easiest), map out a timeline and mark down maybe every 10 sec.
- As you listen again (and again?), draw blocks for each type of audio that you hear. Indicate when the different blocks begin and stop, and how many layers are happening at once. For example, a block might be “sound effects of pans on stove” or “interview.” Don’t write down what they are saying. Just transcribe the different layers of audio on your timeline.
- Post on your blog three things: 1) the link to your podcast, 2) three things you like and three things you don’t like about this podcast, 3) an image or copy of your transcription (or, you can give me your transcription in class).
Due date: Wed., Sept. 17, 6 p.m.