For this class, we provide the bulk of the equipment, including video cameras, microphones, tripods, etc. However, you’re expected to provide an external drive and around-the-ear headphones.
- Should be at least 100 GB.
- Should have a fast connection (thunderbolt, firewire, or USB 3)
- Recommendation: Western Digital 1 TB, LaCie Rugged Drive 500 GB
- Must be around-the-ear. You will be able to hear so much better, trust me.
- Industry standard: Sony MDR-7506
- Acceptable but not as good: Sony MDR-ZX100
Building your own kit
I realize that equipment is quite expensive. If you are serious about multimedia production, and see yourself using this equipment beyond the class, I would highly recommend purchasing a DSLR camera with video (eg, the Canon T3i or Nikon D5100). These cameras are great for both photos and video. However, they are awful for audio, so I would recommend purchasing a separate audio recorder, or at least an external microphone to plug into the camera. I love talking about gear, so let me know if you’re thinking about buying, and I’ll help you out.